Start a Career in Lodging on the Right Track!
eSkills, Tasks, and Results Training (START)
Teaches the foundation of hospitality operations while promoting the long term career pathways available. Prepares students to go straight from the classroom into the work force. 300 hour program that gives the opportunity to earn 4 industry recognized professional certifications plus the Guest Service Gold, ServSafe and RAMP certifications as well.
START provides training for hospitality positions in the rooms and food and beverage divisions of a lodging operation, including front desk, reservations, housekeeping, bell services, restaurant service, banquet setup, and more. Guest service professionalism, and career exploration are other important components of this program.
The START Program, developed by the American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute (AHLEI), is a curriculum that gives high school students and people re-entering the work force the real-world knowledge and skills needed for a long-term career in the lodging industry.
Outcome: START a career in a rewarding, high powered environment with multiple career paths. Hospitality is one of the largest, fastest-growing industries in the world, with more than 200 job categories. Line-level employment in the lodging sector is expected to grow between 5 and 14 percent by 2018. As the industry expands, it offers significant stability and security, as well as flexibility for workers to learn new roles and choose from career paths.
- Promotes professionalism, confidence and positive work ethics.
- Led by an industry support specialist.
- Placement in a 56-hour field experience at a hotel, resort or restaurant.
- Completion of seven 8-hour rotations exploring the different departments within a chosen hospitality sector.
- Additional contextualized remediation to ensure success.
Industry Recognized Credentials
Students who successfully complete the START curriculum and pass the final exam will receive a Hospitality Skills Certification in one (1) of the four (4) areas covered in the START curriculum:
- Front Desk Representative
- Guestroom Attendant
- Restaurant Server
Opportunity for additional industry recognized certifications:
- Certified Guest Service Gold: Making Connections
- Certified Guest Service Gold: Golden Opportunities
- ServSafe Certification
- RAMP Certification