WHAT IS A CHOSEN/PREFERRED NAME?
For the purposes of this procedure, a chosen/preferred name is a first name used on a daily basis that is significantly different from the student’s legal first name.
WHAT QUALIFIES A STUDENT TO USE A CHOSEN/PREFERRED NAME?
Any student who uses a name other than their legal name, for any reason, is welcome to submit a Chosen/Preferred Name Request Form. Examples of reasons to use a preferred name include:
- Student’s legal name is inconsistent with their gender identity
- Student primarily uses their middle name instead of their first name
- Student goes by a nickname significantly different from their first name
- International students or other students who wish to adopt an English language nickname during their course of study
Note: Nicknames that are common abbreviations of first names (such as “Joe” for “Joseph” or “Kate” for “Kaitlyn”) are not covered under this procedure. For clarification on whether a name is a common abbreviation, students may contact the Division of Student Affairs.
HOW CAN I REQUEST A CHOSEN/PREFERRED FIRST NAME CHANGE?
Students can submit a chosen/preferred name change through their Workday student portal:
1. Log into Workday Student System
2. Click on the cloud in the upper right corner, then click “View Profile”
3. From the blue panel on the left, choose the “Personal” tab
4. Click on the “Actions” button located in the blue panel under your name
5. Select “Personal Data” and then “Change my Preferred Name”
6. Uncheck “Use Legal Name As Preferred Name”
7. Complete the form and select the orange “Submit” button located at the bottom
Once you submit the form, your request will be sent to the Records & Registration Office for review. If approved, you will receive a notification to your Workday inbox.
If denied, you will be contacted by the Records & Registration Office via email. Students have the option of appealing a denial by contacting the Records Office and the College’s Chief Diversity Officer.
*Please note that if you input a last name on the chosen/preferred name form that is different from the legal last name we have on file, your request will not be approved. The chosen/preferred first name change is for first names only.
Changes to a student’s last name is a legal name change. Refer to “What If I Want To Make A Legal Name Change/Have Made A Legal Name Change?” below for directions on how to submit a legal name change.
*For Employees, please contact Human Resources (email@example.com) regarding preferred name changes.*
WHERE WILL MY PREFERRED NAME APPEAR?
Once your preferred name change request is approved, your chosen/preferred name will appear in the following places:
- Your personal Workday page
- Class Roster for enrolled courses
- Name identifier in student email address
- Blackboard presence for Northampton courses
Please note the following:
- All official College correspondence will use your legal name.
- The chosen/preferred name is used solely for Northampton’s internal systems where applicable. Official transcripts, enrollment verifications, diplomas, third party database systems, and all external communications, such as hometown newspapers (dean’s list announcements), etc., will continue to use your legal name.
- Your preferred name can be changed no more than once an academic year and twice during your tenure at Northampton.
*Please note that if parent/families have access to your personal Workday page they will be able to see the same information you see as a student.
Disclaimer: This procedure does not form a contract of any kind and may be modified, changed, altered, or rescinded at the discretion of Northampton Community College. Inappropriate use of the chosen/preferred name, including but not limited to, misrepresentation or attempting to avoid a legal obligation, may be cause for denying the request.
Northampton Community College is legally required to use legal names on all legal documents and contracts, including student bills, financial aid information, official and unofficial transcripts, enrollment verification, diplomas, and other documents. Further, this process can only affect Northampton CC generated systems.
WHAT IF I WANT TO MAKE A LEGAL NAME CHANGE/HAVE MADE A LEGAL NAME CHANGE?
Students interested in making a legal name change should check the regulations of their home state.
Students who have completed a legal name change should submit the change in their Workday Student System:
- Log into Workday Student System
- Click on the cloud in the upper right corner, then click “View Profile”
- From the blue panel on the left, choose the “Personal” tab
- Select the “Edit” button located to the right of the Legal Name we have on file
- Complete the form and upload documentation to show proof of your legal name change. Examples of acceptable documents include marriage or birth certificate, court order, or divorce decree. Legal name changes will not be approved without the appropriate documentation.