Prior to a student enrolling in courses at NCC, placement in English and/or Mathematics must first be determined. Course requirements in English and Mathematics may vary depending a student’s program of study (major). NCC may use multiple methods to determine placement including:
- Review of High School transcript
- SAT Scores
- ACT Scores
- Advanced Placement (AP) Test Scores
- Prior college course work
- Accuplacer Placement Test
Details for the placement policy and guidelines on English and Mathematics course placement can be found in the college catalog.
Who is required to take placement tests?
Students who can’t be placed in ENGL101 and/or college-level Mathematics based on a review of the available criteria outlined in the placement policy will need to take the English and/or Mathematics placement test.
What is the placement test?
NCC uses the CollegeBoard Accuplacer test for English and Mathematics testing. Accuplacer tests are standardized placement tests that are not timed. The English test consists of reading and writing sections and typically takes approximately 45 to 60 minutes to complete. The mathematics test features questions on arithmetic, elementary algebra and college level mathematics. Students typically complete the mathematics test in approximately 30 to 60 minutes. When students are required to take both the English and mathematics tests it is recommended that they take the tests on separate days.
Where and when is placement testing offered?
Due to the COVID-19 restrictions all NCC campus locations are closed. Instruction and services are being delivered remotely. This includes placement testing which will be remotely proctored using Zoom video conferencing.
Students may sign up for a remotely proctored placement test by completing the sign-up form below. An NCC representative will then follow up confirming the test date/time and provide instructions on how to prepare and log in for the placement test.
SIGN UP NOW
What do students need to take the remotely proctored placement test?
• Testers need to be accepted to NCC and have a student ID#, which is included with their acceptance information
• Testers need to access their NCC email account to receive testing confirmation and instructions
• Testers will need a computer and web cam that can support Accuplacer and Zoom
• Check that your computer can support and run Accuplacer. Click Verify System at the bottom of page at Accuplacer.org
• Download and install Zoom Client for Meetings
• Test Zoom installed and is working correctly.
• If a Chromebook is the only option testers have for testing, a separate download will be necessary. Testers should note on their sign-up request form that they will need to use a Chromebook for testing.
May students retest if they don't test into English I or college-level math?
Yes, students may retest one time before taking any developmental courses. Students who start developmental courses are not eligible to retest.
Can students prepare for placement tests?
Although no preparation is required for the English or Mathematics placement tests, there are sample placement test questions available for practice. Students may access sample questions by visiting the College Board Accuplacer web site at the following link.
What should students bring for testing?
Students should bring a form of photo identification and their NCC ID number. An on-screen calculator is available for test items that require calculation. It is not necessary for students to bring a calculator.