All students taking education classes in a major that requires field experiences are required to complete background checks and relevant medical and personal reference checks. Student must begin the paperwork process as soon as they enroll as education majors this allows ample time for paperwork to be completed, submitted to NCC, and processed.
The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires that all students participating in field experience must provide the documentation listed below. Obtaining the following background clearances will require out of pocket expenses.
- Act 114 FBI Federal Criminal History Background Check
- Act 34 Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check
- Act 151 Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- Act 31 Mandated and Permissive Reporting in Pennsylvania Online Training
- Act 24 Pennsylvania Department of Education Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification Form
- TB (Tuberculin) skin test
*Two additional requirements for Early Childhood Education Students:
Two letters of reference (must be from non-family members) stating your suitability for working with children
NCC ECE/DHS Health Form (required every two years)
When obtaining these background checks, please remember to do the following:
- If you have any arrest or conviction on any background check you must notify the Education Department (Education@northampton.edu). Failure to disclose this information may prevent you from completing field experiences.
- Use your home address (not school address) when applying for all background checks.
- Keep all original background checks in your credential portfolio.
- Keep hard copies of all background checks to use for observations.
- Never relinquish original background checks to anyone.
Students Must submit required clearances to:
Northampton Community College Education Department
Reibman Hall, Room 137
3835 Green Pond Road
Bethlehem, PA 18020
Phone: (610) 861-4561
Fax: (610) 861-4110
PDE FBI Federal Criminal History Background Check (Act 114)
1. Fingerprinting must be completed through IdentoGO, NOT state police.
2. Go to: https://uenroll.identogo.com (secure website)
3. Type in your service code (register in PA as a student taking a course in a university teacher education program): 1KG6RT
4. On the next screen, select "Schedule or Manage an Appointment." Complete the registration form, select a fingerprinting location, select the photo ID you will bring to your appointment (most select Driver's License), make an appointment or select walk-in, and print your confirmation form.
5. Take print-out of your registration and your selected photo ID to an IdentoGO fingerprinting site. You can search for an IdentoGO location on the IdentoGO website: https://www.identogo.com/locations
6. $22.60 fee charged to credit card or money order made out to Morpho Trust LLC...NO PERSONAL CHECKS.
7. You will receive a receipt (UEID number) at the fingerprinting location. After 48 hours you may check the status of your results: https://uenroll.identogo.com Submit these results to the Education Department.
The Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check (Act 34)
1. This clearance can be obtained by logging on to: https://epatch.state.pa.us (secure website)
2. Select "Submit a New Record Check" (do NOT click the link for "volunteers"), choose "Individual Request," and under reason for, click on "Employment."
3. $22.00 fee charged to credit card.
4. Print the certificate form displaying the Pennsylvania state seal and submit to the Education Department.
Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151)
1. Apply online at: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home
2. Start by creating your "Individual Account" and "Keystone ID." You will need to wait until you receive an email with your account information to proceed.
3. Once you have logged in with your Keystone ID and password, click on "Create Clearance Application" and when prompted choose "School Employee Governed by Public School Code."
4. Complete the application process.
5. $8.00 fee by debit or credit card.
6. Print an electronic version and submit to the Education Department.
Mandated and Permissive Reporting in Pennsylvania Online Training (Act 31)
1. Complete this FREE online training at: www.ReportAbusePa.Pitt.edu
2. Print the certificate of completion and submit to the Education Department.
PA Department of Education Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification Form (Act 24)
1. This form can be found at: http://www.education.pa.gov/documents/teachers-administrators/background%20Checks/arrest%20or%20conviction%20form.pdf
2. Read, sign and submit to the Education Department.
TB (Tuberculin) Skin Test
- TB testing may be administered by your private health care provider or the NCC Main Campus Health Center.
- Results may be submitted on a script pad or doctor's letterhead with your name, results, date and physician signature.
- Submit to the Education Department.
If you are a Northampton Community College student living outside of Pennsylvania or intending to complete an internship or clinical placement outside of the state in a NCC program leading to professional licensure, you should review requirements on the state board website to make sure that the program qualifies.
Licensure requirements vary from state to state and you may require additional authorization from the professional licensing agency in that state. Participating in a program from outside of Pennsylvania, if not properly authorized by that state's professional licensing board, could result in loss of licensing eligibility. If you need help or have questions, please contact the Program Director for more information.