Mission, Vision, Values, and Focus Areas
*To provide enhanced programs, valuable services and sustained partnerships that encourage students, faculty and staff to be agents of change.
*Inspire the campus community to be civically minded and make a difference around the globe.
*The Center for Civic and Community Engagement is committed to the following fundamental values:
- Integrity: We approach every situation with honesty and trust.
- Accountability: We take responsibility for our work and actions.
- Teamwork: We work collaboratively with others to promote change.
- Advocacy: We inspire individuals to take actions in support of a cause.
- Respect: We treat people with courtesy and civility.
- Creativity: We set goals and find ways to meet them.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: We recognize and embrace the differences in others.
*To help students become Engaged Citizens, CCCE focuses on three main areas: “Service-Learning, Community Service/Volunteerism, and Civic Engagement”.
Distinguishing Characteristics Between Service-Learning, Community Service/Volunteerism, and Civic Engagement
|Characteristics||Service Learning||Community Service/Volunteerism||Civic Engagement|
|Primary Beneficiary||Student and Community Partner(s)||Community Partners and Clients/Recipients||Student and Community|
|Primary Focus||Intentional Learning and Meaningful Service||Meaningful Service||Political Participation/Advocacy|
|Intended Educational Purpose/Benefits||Academic Learning and Enhanced Intellectual||Moral, Personal and Social Growth and Development||Sense of Citizenship and Awareness of Complex Social Issues|
|Nature of Activity||Based on Discipline or Student Career Objective||Based on Student Interest||Based on Student Passion or Motivation|
|Curricular Integration||Full integration within the curriculum||None||Supplemental|
|Reflection||Includes Structured Reflection||Generally not Included||May Include Reflection|