A message from NCC President Mark Erickson
NCC is a college fiercely committed to addressing issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion. As a “college of the community”, we are uniquely positioned to do this work. It’s not something we do on the side; it is core to our mission and values. Simply put, it is an educational imperative.
We are a college that aspires to provide an environment where all our students, faculty, and staff can be honored and celebrated for being authentically themselves with all the rich diversity that brings. Yet, we know we still have work to do. With that in mind, NCC’s board of trustees unanimously passed this statement of action for the college.
Our college, this community and the very nation in which we all live face a pivotal moment in history. Following the tragic death of George Floyd, there has been a national call to address systemic racism in all its forms. As northeast Pennsylvania’s most diverse college, Northampton Community College is poised to act as a catalyst for positive change on our own campuses and to serve as a thought leader throughout our region to engage in important and courageous conversations about race
The first steps toward that include committing as a college to:
- Revising the curriculum to ensure a more inclusive educational experience.
- Becoming a leader/convener in our community to spearhead conversations around diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ensuring images at all our locations accurately portray the strength of our diversity and promote inclusion.
- Developing an Affirmative Action Plan to hold us accountable for increasing faculty/staff of color.
- Creating a climate survey for our faculty, staff, and students to inform development of a strategic plan.
- Completing our strategic plan for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion by early fall and sharing it prominently with our campus community and beyond.
- Assessing our Campus Safety Office to ensure we are appropriately training and practicing “community based” engagement.