Technicians install, troubleshoot and repair machinery used in business and industry. The complexity of these machines requires you to gain a strong understanding of motor controls, fluid power, mechanisms, programmable logic controllers and industrial networks. NCC has worked closely with the area's local manufacturers and engineering firms to develop programs that will provide graduates with hands-on skills and help place them into entry-level positions.
Careers in Electromechanical Technology
An electromechanical engineering degree from Northampton Community College opens many doors to the professional world. You may choose to pursue an entry-level job after graduation, or transfer your credits toward the completion of a four-year bachelor's degree at one of NCC's transfer institutions.
Depending on your specific role and the type of industry in which you're involved, your field service technician job may involve the following:
- Leading or assisting the design of complex automated technology and instrumentation systems, with an emphasis on mechanical, electrical and fluid power components and assemblies
- Troubleshooting malfunctioning equipment, performing repairs and maintenance and developing service schedules to keep sensitive instruments working
- Using research and computer skills to gather and analyze system data to refine processes and develop more efficient instrumentation and equipment
- Consulting with organizations to suggest appropriate equipment upgrades and retrofit aging facilities
The NCC electromechanical engineering degree aims to create skilled field service technicians and other professionals capable of applying advanced problem-solving skills to different challenges.
Why Study Technology at NCC?
Northampton Community College's electromechanical engineering program is designed to help you understand how automated technology and instrumentation is used in industrial settings. We combine theory and practice within our curriculum to fully cover each area of the degree. An extensive selection of courses provides a comprehensive overview of the topics and technologies professional engineers encounter.
Combined with the extensive resources available in Northampton's facility, we offer a supportive and engaging atmosphere where you can study alongside driven faculty members. The completion of NCC's associate of arts program will leave you well-equipped to compete for electromechanical engineering jobs or to further your studies at the bachelor level.
Contact NCC to begin your academic career as an electromechanical engineering technician.
Electromechanical Technology Career Paths
- Maintenance Mechanic
- Industrial Machinery Mechanic
- Field Service Technician
- Machine Repairer
- Process Control Technician
- Radio Cellular Tower Equipment Installer/Repairer
- Home Entertainment Installers
- Broadcast Technician
- Electrical Drafter
- Instrumentation Engineer
Degrees We Offer
- Associate in Applied Science | 2 years
- Instrumentation Process Control Technician Certificate | 1.5 years
- Machine Repair SD | 1.5 years
- This entire program can be completed at our Bethlehem Campus
If you are a Northampton Community College student living outside of Pennsylvania or intending to complete an internship or clinical placement outside of the state in a NCC program leading to professional licensure, you should review requirements on the state board website to make sure that the program qualifies.
Licensure requirements vary from state to state and you may require additional authorization from the professional licensing agency in that state. Participating in a program from outside of Pennsylvania, if not properly authorized by that state's professional licensing board, could result in loss of licensing eligibility. If you need help or have questions, please contact the Program Director for more information.Program Details view official course information in our 19-20 college catalog Program Map View Electromechanical Technology Suggested Semester Map (PDF) Program Map View Automated Systems Suggested Semester Map (PDF)